A Wave of Knock-Offs

PLEASE don’t buy or support knock-offs folks. Our ShockWave case has been blatantly copied and we’ve seen cheaply made versions appear around the world at trade events and websites like Alibaba, Amazon and Ebay. We actually did work hard to design and improve our ShockWave cases over three generations of iPad, Air and Mini. We have a patent on the design, a copyright also on the design and a trademark on the name ShockWave. The knockoffs don’t have our latest clear removable kickstand, also on it’s 3rd generation of strengthening and improvements, port coverings, audio sound chamber that amplifies audio, or our quality screen protectors. The differences are quite clear.

We appreciate your support. We feel that we have the best customers in the world!

America’s Top Vlogger

Actually, I’m pretty sure that he is not #1 in terms of viewership or rankings, however Casey Neistat’s YouTube videos are addictive and very popular. His breakout video was Bike Lanes, from 2011 and since then he has amassed over 1 billion cumulative views. Soon you may be watching him on CNN after Anthony Bourdain since in November he just sold his video messaging app Beme to CNN for $25 million. Most likely CNN just wanted Casey and his team since they folded the app this month. Here’s a great video resulting from his collaboration with some folks from Samsung. I can’t wait to see the first drone tow-in surf video.

Even More Breakage Protection for iPad Air 2

We had these GLASS screen protector custom cut to fit the Air 2 iPads in our Rugged Folio case. They can be installed even after the case is on and they add another layer of durability for little extra cost. The price for 1 is $10 for 1000 is $6.

A Video Everyone Should Watch

One of the top YouTube comments suggests that this should be shown in every school classroom.  At the very least families should watch this together. The one and a half hour YouTube video was free for awhile, but now apparently you must pay for it. Hopefully proceeds go to help the environment.

In my humble opinion Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the best actors of our generation.  This video is not about DiCaprio, but he narrates and does a great job of taking us on an educational journey concerning the damage to the environment and the dire consequences that we could all face.

A Well Crafted Review of the Rugged Folio

I watch many YouTube unboxing videos and find that many are not inventive and sometimes even uncomfortable to watch.  However, OT4Tech took it to the next level and added a lifestyle aspect to their video review.  I thought the flow was pleasing and the imagery set a great mood.  Nice job and thank you for the great review of our Rugged Folio!

rugged-folio-review-1

rugged-folio-review-2

rugged-folio-review-3

rugged-folio-review-5

Creative Inspiration from Blink 182 Founder

I recently decided that our blog posts will be more about early stage entrepreneurship, creative endeavors, and innovative product development rather than just limiting the post to our own UZBL brand products.  This post is about a really great interview with the founder of Blink 182.  At first glance this video might not seem relevant to idea development.  I’m posting this because it shows that if you are really passionate about something and work hard at it that really cool things can happen. 

Tom Delonge grew up in the Southern California skate punk subculture and went from putting flyers in his fellow students’ lockers for his band’s first concert to establishing one of the most iconic American bands in alternative rock.  The interview gives a detail introspective of his journey from troubled youth to influential songwriter and progressive musician with self discovery all along the way.  Today Tom continues to challenge himself and you get the feeling that there is more good things to come.

At 58:50 in the video he talks about his personal projects wrapped up in a company called To The Stars.  The company is basically a record label, publisher, production house and his belief is that “Artists in the future not only will make a record in a band or be a director of the movie or an author of a book, but will be more Art Transmedia Project (Creators)”.  “One kid that has an idea for a book might (also) write a soundtrack and put it altogether.”   These ideas relate back to technology in schools and the 1 to 1 programs of today, where we are now beginning to teach kids to use the latest tools (computers, tablets, cameras, etc) to create rather than passively consume content.  Providing kids the tools to combine creative mediums, teaching them to use these tools and then giving them the freedom to express their visions is a recipe for an exciting future in entertainment, storytelling, even product development.

Could we see these in the classroom?

We often get the opportunity to talk with potential and existing customers and receive feedback on design dos and don’ts … features that are liked and design pitfalls to watch out for.  As we seek feedback on our new Chromebook cases we are advised to avoid anything that kids could pick at or fidget with.  In general we try to design all of our cases as simple and smooth as possible.  Organic has always been our design approach. However, while on a recent browsing binge of Kickstarter I stumbled upon a new concept product that reminded me of these recent conversations.  The product is called Fidget Cube and as of today, more than halfway through it’s campaign has raised an amazing $5.5 million.  I thought that I was ahead of the curve in discovering this successful new product, but upon mentioning it to my family they said they have already seen it on Instagram.  Apparently it was trending on social media which explains the big pre-sales numbers.   

Immediately I had to know more.  Why so successful?  Is this the first product of its kind?  Is this the beginning of a new class of products for those with ADHD?  Is our constant interaction with smart phones causing more fidgeting habits?  Could we start seeing students with these gadgets?

Scanning through the 4000+ comments written by Fidget Cube backers you’ll notice lots of excitement from people with anxiety and focus issues, like Aspergers, Tourettes, and ADHD.   Many express their readiness to get their hands on the Fidget Cube as quick as possible.

I had to see if there were other “fidget” gadgets, so I scanned the usually suspects: Amazon, Alibaba, Ebay, Google, YouTube and found some newly created videos on another type of hand toy to fiddle with.   I feel like I’ve seen these before, somewhere, but all the videos were less than a couple months old.

To give the Hand Spinner ideas affirmation I do recall how tactilely satisfying is was to just spin skateboard bearings between my thumb and forefinger when I was younger.  These concepts are similar but now with a wide range of shapes prototyped using 3D printers and more bearings, I’m assuming for greater centrifugal force and longer spin times.

Whether this is a trend or just more paraphernalia for EDC (Every Day Carry) folks or the beginning of an innovative new category of product remains to be seen.  One thing is for sure, with success of the Kickstarter campaign and excitement among those willing to wait a few months to receive theirs, we will be seeing and hearing a lot more about Fidget gadgets.